Department of Languages and Literatures Scholarships, 2019-20
For the academic year 2019-20 the Department of Languages and Literatures will award scholarships to students studying Cherokee, French, German, Portuguese and Spanish.
The awards will range from $450 to $800 per student.
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Not graduating in May 2019
How to apply:
A. Submit a cover letter with the following information. (Write your Student ID - not your name on it.)
1. What language(s) are you taking?
2. Are you pursuing a concentration or a minor?
3. Do you have plans for study abroad or study away in the next 2 years?
4. When are you planning to graduate?
5. Are you planning to attend either of these programs, Semester in Spain (Santander) or Internship in Saumur? (We have funding this year for students planning to participate in one of these.)
B. Write on a separate page a 500 word personal statement in which you address the following questions:
1. Why is it important that the Department consider you for this scholarship?
2. What interests you about the language you are studying?
3. How will language skills and intercultural understanding help you achieve your academic and professional goals?
4. Do you have plans to continue developing your linguistic and intercultural competency upon completing your studies here at UNCA? Explain how.
(Questions inspired by George Mason University Critical Language Scholarship)
Criteria for evaluating applicants (and personal statements):
• Evidence of passion for/commitment to intercultural education.
• Creativity and clarity of expression.
• In French, German and Spanish, we will give preference to students working on a Concentration or a Minor.
Directions: Submit your materials via email to Susan Maas, email@example.com by Monday, April 1, 2019. In order that your essay be anonymous to the review committee, please do not include your name on the materials (just your student ID); and please include your name in the body of your email.
Attention: The deadline for the Department of Languages and Literatures Scholarships, 2019-20 has been extended until April 8!
Note: If you are planning to travel abroad and are not receiving academic credit for your experience, you may still be eligible to receive some support from the Department through these Scholarships!