- 11:00 a.m. - noon
- 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Juan is originally from the Andes (Bogotá, Colombia). He joined UNC Asheville in Fall 2016. His interest in indigenous cultural expressions and ancestral epistemologies introduces (into the classroom) old/new ways to approach culture and nature, challenging traditional theories about language, genres, and periods, as well as colonial concepts such as nation, race, and progess. From both his involvement in solidarity networks and his research into the works of contemporary indigenous writers, Juan has built a trans-indigenous corpus, highlighting the tensions between indigenous literary nationalisms, migrant experiences, and expectations on indigeneity. His scholarly efforts are devoted to bringing researchers, students, advocates, elders, and writers together to create intercultural publications, weaving South, Central and North America into one cultural braid.
Ph.D Hispanic Studies/Migration and Ethnic Relations
2014 Western University, Ontario, Canada
M.A. Latin American Literature
2008 Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Colombia
B.A. Literary Studies
2004 Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Colombia
Research and Teaching Interests
- Cultural expressions from the Abya-Yala
- Indigenous perspectives on the sky
- Contemporary Spanish American poetry
- 20th/21st Century Latin American Literature
- Spanish as a Foreign Language
- Creative Writing
- Travel Writings on Shamanism (South America, 1963-2014)
- "The Five Cardinal Points in Contemporary Indigenous Literatures". Co-editor. Diálogo 19.1. An interdisciplinary journal published by the Center for Latino Research at the DePaul University. 2016. Web.
- "K'obéen. Subjetividades indígenas en la literatura latinoamericana". Co-editor. Canadian Magazine of Hispanic Studies (RCEH). N. 39.1. Canadian Association of Hispanic Studies. 2015. Web.
- "Los esbirros no han logrado apagar la luz de la luna: Rayen Kvyeh". Revista Maguare 29.1 (2015):21-53. Web.
Indigenous Message on Water / Mensaje Indígena de Agua. Co-editor. London: Indigenous World Forum on Water and Peace, 2014. Web.